Fried aromatic herbs Authentic Italian recipe of Liguria
Fried aromatic herbs that is sage and parsley is an excellent appetizer in Italy. You can serve it before a lunch or dinner with a good glass of wine. A tasty starter in other words to make when parsley and sage are in season. It's a summer appetizer. Enjoy it!
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 24 sage leaves
- 20 little sprigs of parsley
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- Olive oil (the best would be extravergine olive oil from Liguria - Italy) for frying
- Mineral water
preparation: 20 minutes
cooking: 15 minutes
total: 35 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 95 (kcal) 5 % GDA (*)- 395 (kJ)
Protein: 3.2 (g) 7 % GDA
Total fat: 0.5 (g) 1 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 20.5 (g) 8 % GDA
Sugars: 1.6 (g) 2 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (120 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Fried herb aromatics How-To
- - Wash parsley in a bowl of cold water and then pat completely dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
- - Avoid washing the leaves of fresh sage.
Wipe off any sand of earth with soft kitchen paper.
- - Prepare your batter in a bowl, putting flour and adding a little of mineral water slowly.
- - Beat with a whisk continuously in order to avoid lumps.
Your batter must be fluid.
- - Heat olive oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- - Dip all fresh herbs into your batter and fry them until golden brown.
- - Remove them with a slotted spoon and sprinkle with salt.
Just before serving
- - Serve fried aromatic herbs hot.
- - Prepare the fried aromatic herbs when parsley and sage are in season that is in summer.
- - Accompany fried aromatic herbs with a white wine (the best would be a white wine from Liguria - Italy, such as Cinque Terre or Pinot bianco of Lunigiana).
- - It's a perfect appetizer to open a fish menu, Italian style. So choose this appetizer for your seated summer dinner or BBQ.
- - Prepare an assorted antipasto platter with these fried aromatic herbs combined with some cherry tomatoes filled with tuna in oil and seasoned olives.
Useful links for this recipe
- - You could be interested in these recipes to dress olives: olives, Madrid-style or olives, Italy-style
- - Finally, here are some ideas to fill cherry tomatoes. The first filling is with mozzarella and anchovies (baked cherry tomatoes). The second recipe show you how to make a stuffing with crumbled eggs and bacon or ricotta cheese and salmon carpaccio (stuffed cherry tomatoes)
- - It's very difficult to have the real amount of the olive oil used for frying.
So nutrition facts don't include this ingredient and frying cooking. If you want to know an approximate value of the dish, you have to add about 100 calories per 100g (3 1/2 ounces) of fried aromatic herbs.
What's the right wine for " Fried aromatic herbs "?
My husband and I generally pair fried aromatic herbs with a white wine of Liguria: Cinque Terre or Pinot.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1