Marinated lamb Our original home cooking
Marinated lamb is a simple-to-do recipe you can make all year choosing the cooking method you prefer: grilling or baking. Both taste fantastic: the marinate I'll show you makes your meat very tender. Besides grilling your lamb you can reduce oil amount. You'll need steaks cut off from a leg of a lamb, aromatics, onions, wine and olive oil. For all these reason it is a Mediterranean diet recipe!
Ingredients / Serves 2
- 400g (14 1/8 ounces) leg of lamb, cut into steaks
- 50g (1 3/4 ounce) fresh young onion
- Sprigs fresh thyme
- 10 leaves fresh mint
- Little bunch fresh chives
- 50ml (1 2/3 fluid ounce) dry white wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 15 minutes
plus marinating time
cooking: depends on steak thickness
total: not computable
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 245 (kcal) 13 % GDA (*)- 1023 (kJ)
Protein: 30.0 (g) 60 % GDA
Total fat: 13.8 (g) 20 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 0.0 (g)
Sugars: 0.0 (g)
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (159 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Marinated lamb recipe
- - Prepare your marinade. Wash aromatic herbs and pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
Remove leaves from the thyme sprigs, chop mint and chives.
Chop young onion too.
Put olive oil and wine in a little bowl and beat hard with a fork to have an emulsion.
Add aromatic herbs and onion and stir.
Your marinade is ready.
- - Prepare lamb.
Remove its visible fat.
Trim as much as possible the connective tissue and make little cuts in its skin around the steak if present.
Eventually beat your steaks with meat mallet if too thick.
- - Marinate your lamb. Pour marinade into a large pan.
If you want to bake your marinated lamb you should use the same baking pan you'll use in the oven.
Place lamb steaks and turn them over immediately to let marinade come into contact with both sides.
Cover with cling film and chill for about 4 hours.
Remember to turn meat over now and then.
- - Baking. Put your baking pan with marinade and lamb in the oven.
Season to taste with salt.
Heat to 180°C (350°F).
Bake until your meat is tender.
You need about an hour but it's difficult to say exactly how much time is necessary to bake lamb well.
It depends on many things and first of all its thickness.
- - Grilling. Transfer lamb steaks on the hot grill and complete cooking turning your meat over frequently.
Its cooking time can vary a lot, first of all its thickness is important.
Season to taste with salt once cooked, on the serving plate.
Just before serving
- - Serve your lamb hot.
- - You have the best result with fresh aromatic herbs but in winter you can also use dried ones.
- - If you bake your lamb steaks you can also add potatoes but you have to increase the olive oil amount and its nutrition facts change.
- - If you grill your marinated lamb you can use only 2 teaspoons olive oil in marinade.
- - Serve this marinated lamb, grilled or baked, accompanied by green seasonal salads, grilled vegetables, potatoes or stewed vegetables. It's fantastic with peperonata or mashed potatoes. If you like light recipes test our low-fat peperonata (stewed sweet peppers) or light pureed potatoes! Links to suggested recipes in the next paragraph.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Here are the suggested recipes as side dish to marinated lamb: low-fat peperonata, mashed potatoes, low-fat-and-calorie mashed potatoes.
- - Nutrition facts tells us a clear thing: it is a low fat dish of meat. Its calories are acceptable but this is true only if you follow my directions and doses strictly. You have to:
- use steaks from the leg of lamb (the leanest cut of lamb if deprived of visible fat, I repeat)
- remove all its visible fat
- respect the doses of meat and olive oil.
This marinated lamb is rich in protein like all meat dishes. I suggest to eat meat for dinner. Most of the foods, main source of protein, should be eaten at dinner.
- - This marinated lamb is a perfect choice if you're planning a celebration menu because it can be combined easily with many other dishes and it is digestible.
- - This lamb recipe has no fiber. The daily value is 30g. A best reason to choose foods rich in fiber for the other meals of the day.
What's the right wine for " Marinated lamb "?
My husband and I suggest to pair marinated lamb with Montepulciano d'Abruzzo or Montepulciano d'Abruzzo Colline Teramane (both are red wines of Abruzzo - Italy). If you are interested to the vine read more on the page dedicated to Montepulciano.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 4