Arrosto lardellato cotto nel pomodoro
Pot roast beef in tomato sauce Our original home cooking
Planning a seated dinner, Italian-style? My pot roast beef in tomato sauce tastes fantastic! Besides I am used to dress penne or other short pasta with its cooking juice to have a delicious pasta dish. Look at penne with pot roast beef sauce. Link below! So you can prepare a full meal, Italian-style with this pot roast beef. Astonish your guests!
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) beef round
- 70g (2 1/2 ounces) raw ham, in a piece
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 2 young fresh onions, medium size (about 100 g - 3 1/2 ounces)
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) chicken-and-turkey sausage, peeled
- 400ml (13 1/2 fluid ounces - 1 2/3 cup) red wine
- 400ml (13 1/2 fluid ounces - 1 2/3 cup) vegetable stock
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) tomato paste
- 300ml (10 fluid ounces - 1 1/3 cup) bottled strained tomatoes (passata)
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pepper, if you like
- Kitchen string
preparation: 30 minutes
cooking: 150-180 minutes
totale: 3 hours 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 392 (kcal) 20 % GDA (*)- 1642 (kJ)
Protein: 42.1 (g) 85 % GDA
Total fat: 22.5 (g) 33 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 5.6 (g) 3 % GDA
Sugars: 5.5 (g) 7 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (176 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Pot roast beef in tomato sauce recipe
- - Lard your meat.
Cut your raw ham into strips (put its fat apart).
You'll lard your beef piece round with them.
Sprinkle ham strips with parsley.
Make a small incision in your beef round and insert a piece of raw ham.
Go on this way till you have used all ham strips.
- - Tie your meat.
Wash rosemary and place it on your meat piece.
Tie your beef round neatly with kitchen string.
If you aren’t able to tie meat, ask your butcher to make it.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- - Chop young onions together with sausage (after peeling it) and all fat you've removed from ham.
- - Put olive oil in a casserole and add your meat.
- - Cook your meat.
Let it brown on all sides on medium heat, turning it frequently.
Use two wooden spoons to avoid to make holes in it.
At this point add 50ml (1 2/3 fluid ounces) red wine and chopped mixture, increase the heat and let all wine evaporate, turning your meat on all sides.
When all wine is evaporated, add remaining wine and boiling stock.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and continue cooking, half-covered, almost 2 hours.
At this point add remaining aromatic herbs, passata and tomato paste.
Continue cooking till cooking sauce thickens, 30 to 40 minutes.
Add other stock only if necessary.
Just before serving
- - You could combine the pasta you prefer with gravy.
This cooking juice is enough for 400 to 500 g (14 ounces - 1.1 pounds) Italian pasta.
- - Before serving, take your meat out of casserole and remove its string.
Carve it into slices and put them again in casserole.
- - Reheat before serving.
- - If you do not find chicken and turkey sausage, you can also use pork one.
- - You can also use hot water instead of vegetable stock. The recipe is very tasty all the same. I prefer the second solution when I have no time to prepare homemade vegetable stock. I do not like stock cube!
- - This pot roast beef is very tasty and you can prepare it in advance. Besides you have the opportunity to prepare the first and second course according to a typical Italian menu in the same time.
- - Serve it with fried or baked potatoes or spinach.
- - Close your menu with apple strudel, ideal for a rustic menu. Link below!
Useful links for this recipe
- - Interested in recipe for pasta topped with pot roast beef gravy?
- - Want to know my recipe for apple strudel?
- - Follow the link for a full Italian menu with this pot roast beef :))
What's the right wine for " Pot roast beef in tomato sauce "?
My husband and I usually uncork a bottle of good Bonarda (red wine from Lombardy - Italy) to pair to my pot roast beef in tomato sauce.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 2