Quaglie con le ciliegie
Quails with cherries Our original home cooking
Quails with cherries is a delicious main dish to prepare for special occasions between May and June when cherries are at the peak of their ripeness. It is ideal for example for a ceremony menu (christenings, communions, confirmations) if you want to celebrate at home. Unfortunately it is rich in calories and fat.
Ingredients / Serves 2
- 4 quails
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 50g (1 3/4 ounces) young fresh onion
- 300g (10 1/2 ounces) cherries
- 100ml (3 1/3 fluid ounces - about half a cup) cherry liqueur
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 20 minutes
cooking: 40 minutes
total: 1 hour
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 730 (kcal) 37 % GDA (*)- 3056 (kJ)
Protein: 54.9 (g) 74 % GDA
Total fat: 29.7 (g) 43 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 38.1 (g) 15 % GDA
Sugars: 38.1 (g) 43 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (98 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for quails with cherries
Preparation and cooking
- - Wash and stone cherries.
- - Prepare quails.
If they are not bought oven-ready, you have to pluck, draw, clean and singe them.
Put a pinch of salt in the stomach cavity of every fowl.
- - Chop the onion finely.
- - Put the olive oil, onion and quails in a large saucepan and brown the fowls all over on low heat.
- - Add the cherry liqueur and let it evaporate partially on a medium heat.
- - Pour in about 200ml (6 3/4 fluid ounces - 1/2 plus 1/3 cup) warm water and season to taste with salt.
Bring to the boil, lower the flame and cook, half-covered, for 20-25 minutes.
- - At this point add the stoned cherries and continue cooking until the sauce thickens.
- - One minute before the end, add the sugar and chives and stir.
Just before serving
- - Serve your quails with cherries hot in individual plate sprinkled with its sauce on top.
- - You can prepare the quails with cherries in advance adding your fruits only before serving.
Test always the recipe before the great day!
- - This quail dish is very tasty and refined. It can be served in a full menu from appetizer to dessert, Italian-style where it is enough to serve a quail per head. Read my tips in the next paragraph.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Begin with a simple starter such as chicken galantine accompanied by crostini or bruschetta. You can find a lot of Italian starter in our pages dedicated to Italian antipasto ideas, finger food, crostini, canapes (tartine).
Then serve a tasty first course such as a pasta dish with a cheese sauce. What about four-cheese pasta or baked macaroni? The second course is this quail dish.
Finally you have to serve a cake. Sachertorte or Caprese cake? Both are based on chocolate and taste fantastic!
- - As you can see calories and fat of quails with cherries is very high if you use these doses for quails (generally suggested in all cookbooks). Indeed, the right portion is only a quail per head according to healthy eating. In this case all the values that you can read on the nutrition facts are automatically cut in half.
The choice is yours.
What's the right wine for " Quails with cherries "?
Carlo and I generally pair Prosecco di Conegliano Valdobbiadene Cartizze (sparkling wine of Veneto) with this quail dish.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1