Risotto with prawns and peas
Risotto gamberi e piselli
Our original home cooking
The combination of prawns and peas is not new. It is used a lot for pasta sauce, risotto and timbales. This is my personal version of prawn-and-pea risotto that I have been making for years for my family and my get-togethers seeing many people love both prawns and peas. This explains why the ingredients serve 6 people. Let's see recipe and menu idea together.
time: preparation: 30 minutes
cooking: 40 minutes
total: 1 hour 10 minutes
calories: 405 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 800g (1 3/4 pound) raw prawns, in their shell
- 800g (1 3/4 pound) fresh peas, in their pod
- 1 250g (8 3/4 ounces) leek
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 300 ml (10 fluid ounces - 1 1/4 cup) dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1,5 l (3.2 pints - 6 1/3 cups) vegetable stock
- 450g (1pound) long-grain, parboiled rice
- medium difficulty
- Time: preparation: 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
21 % -
Protein: 16.4 (g) 33 % GDA
Total fat: 10.9 (g) 16 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 64.4 (g) 24 % GDA
Sugars: 5.3 (g) 6 % GDA
cooking: 40 minutes
total: 1 hour 10 minutes
Download free PDF version (187 download).
Prawn-and-pea risotto recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Pour olive oil in a non-stick saucepan.
Add prawns and fry slightly on medium heat until they change their color, turning them now and then.
Remove them with a skimmer, trying to recover olive oil as much as possible and put apart.
Let them cool.
- - Meanwhile ...
... prepare vegetable stock and remember to keep it boiling while cooking your risotto.
Slice leek diagonally and shell peas.
- - Add leek and bay leaf to the saucepan and fry slightly on low heat for few minutes, stirring frequently.
Add peas too and let them flavor, stirring.
Then join rice and cook for other 2 minutes, stirring now and then
Add wine and simmer until absorbed, stirring once or twice.
At this point add 2 ladlefuls of vegetable stock and simmer until absorbed, stirring.
Continue adding stock, ladle by ladle, until rice is tender and cooking water is well reduced.
Meanwhile shell prawns.
Once turned off the stove, add aromatic herbs and prawns.
Just before serving
- - Serve after a couple of minutes.
- - If you have fresh herbs, use them. Your risotto will be better.
- - If you have no time to shell prawns you can buy frozen shelled prawns.
It happens to me too. In this case I thaw prawns dipping them, still frozen, in my boiling stock and bring to a boil again. When stock begins boiling again, I remove prawns with a skimmer and put apart. I add them to risotto once turned off the stove. Remember prawns need a very short cooking.
When I find frozen shell-on prawns I make the same steps and let them boil for 1 to 2 minutes, depending on their size and directions on their package. When prawns are cooled, I shell them.
- - Prepare prawn-and-pea risotto for your family menu or get-togethers with relatives and friends. You can choose it for your formal menus too.
- - You can make it all year round with frozen peas and prawns but I prefer it in spring when peas are in season and I can choose raw prawns too.
- - Do you want a seafood menu idea, suitable for children too? All links to recipes in the next paragraph.
Starter: crostini topped with seafood salad to accompany octopus salad.
First course: prawn-and-pea risotto
Second course: choose a recipe with thornless fish such as swordfish, tuna, salmon or monkfish
Cake and dessert: my tip is to avoid any whipped cream and prefer fruit cakes or tarts.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Here are the recipes!
Crostini topped with seafood salad is a recipe included in our directory dedicated to Italian crostini and polenta croutons.
Instead, you can find octopus salad among other mollusc recipe ideas.
I suggest you to follow these links to sea fish and cakes and dessert to look for your favorite recipe to plan your menu.
- - Daily menu. Prawn-and-pea risotto is a rich dish rich but with calories still fairly limited despite the number of ingredients. Complete your meal with seasonal raw vegetables or green salad dressed with 1 teaspoon olive oil. And, of course, fruit ;))
- - Fiber per serving: 3.9 grams (daily intake is 30 grams)
What's the right wine for " Risotto with prawns and peas "?
My husband and I like very much Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi (white wine from Marche - Italy) to pair to my risotto with prawns and peas.