Scaloppine al marsala
Veal Marsala Authentic Italian veal recipes
Veal Marsala is a typical Italian recipe. A main dish in which veal escalopes are cooked in Marsala-and-butter sauce. It's a quick and easy-to-do recipe. It tastes fantastic! It's a great solution for a casual get-together, your daily menu but for a special occasion too. Look at veal marsala calories! Not too many ... Match a red wine to this veal escalope recipe. At home we match a red wine of Umbria.
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 900g (2 pounds) veal escalopes
- 60g (2 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 100ml (3 1/3 fluid ounces) Italian Marsala wine
- Freshly ground black pepper
preparation: 15 minutes
cooking: 25 minutes
total: 40 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 276 (kcal) 14 % GDA (*)- 1154 (kJ)
Protein: 31.3 (g) 63 % GDA
Total fat: 12.4 (g) 18 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 6.1 (g) 3 % GDA
Sugars: 4.8 (g) 6 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (152 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Veal marsala recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Beat your veal escalopes with a meat-ponder.
Put the slices of meat between two sheets of film for food to beat better.
- - Then cut them to obtain 18 identical escalopes with a regular shape.
- - Put 40g (1 1/3 ounce) butter in a non-stick frying pan.
- - Let the butter melt on very low heat.
- - Then add your veal slices and increase the heat.
Warning: your veal slices should not be overlapped.
If this occurs divide the slices into two pans also dividing the dressing
- - Brown your escalopes on both side on high heat.
- - Then add the liqueur Marsala together with a couple of tablespoons of water.
- - Season to taste with salt and pepper, if liked.
- - Continue cooking until the veal is tender, about 10 minutes.
- - Meanwhile mix the remaining butter with the flour until you have an homogeneous mixture.
- - Once the veal is cooked, turn off the stove.
Remove the veal escalopes from the pan and put apart.
Keep them warm.
- - Add the butter-and-flour mixture to the pan.
Turn the gas back.
Stir continuously over low heat until a thick sauce.
- - Turn off the stove.
Just before serving
- - Arrange your veal escalopes on individual dish.
Dust them with the sauce.
- - Serve your veal Marsala hot.
- - Veal Marsala. Now the question is: do you need to flour the veal slices before cooking or add the flour then? we prefer the second solution. We tried to cook the escalopes after flouring them but it often happened that we had to detach the gravy from the bottom of the pot and the results weren't optimal. The trick that we have taught you is important: in this way you are sure to prepare not only a good dish but nice to see too!
- - Another question a lot of people ask to us: can I prepare veal Marsala with other meat? surely you can. It tastes fantastic with chicken or turkey escalopes too.
- - You can accompany veal Marsala with peas, Florentine-style or with baked potatoes. It tastes fantastic with mashed potatoes too or low-fat mashed potatoes if you are on a diet. Remember: every seasonal vegetable is OK, combined with veal escalopes. But don't accompany this dish with Italian pasta: it's a real mistake!
- - You can choose veal marsala for a full menu in a special occasion. Generally we Italians prepare these escalopes when the first course (pasta or rice dish) is too rich in ingredients.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Interested in my recipe for mashed potatoes or mashed potatoes without butter?
- - I remember you my original home recipes can be made without salt. There is always a combination of flavors that substitutes salt. Other Italian cooking ideas?
- - I remember you a typical Italian menu for a special occasion is based on antipasto platter, a first course (rice or pasta dish), a second course (meat or fish dish) and finally a cake or dessert.
- - Daily menu. Your veal Marsala is a low-calorie dish compared to other meat recipes. Keep in mind that you may limit its calories further, if you have diet problems, reducing the dose per person. In fact, the recommended portion of meat per person should be 100g (3 1/2 ounces). Using 100g of meat per person calories decrease to 222, proteins to 21.0 g and fat remain almost unchanged (11.0g). Serve the veal Marsala for dinner reserving complex carbohydrates for your lunch. For example a low-calorie pasta or rice dish with a vegetable sauce.
Complete your veal Marsala with raw or cooked seasonal vegetables. The best solution would be a tasty minestrone before serving this veal dish as I say to you below.
Why have I suggested pasta and rice for lunch? Because most of the foods, main source of protein, should be eaten at dinner and the calories eaten at dinner should be 500 - 600 (25 to 30% of energy needs for an adult if his daily needs are about 2000 calories and he correctly divides his calories into 5 micro-meals).
- - Celebration menu If you prepare veal Marsala for a celebration menu don't worry too much about its nutrition facts. It's a rare event.
- - This veal dish has no fiber. The daily recommended value is 30g. For this reason I've recommended you to eat a soup before veal Marsala.
- - The recommended portions of meat per week must not be more than 3 to 4, included cuts (not more than one per week).
Anyway give preference to poultry.
- - If you want to drink a glass of wine remember you have to add 80-85 calories per 100ml.
What's the right wine for " Veal Marsala "?
Match a red wine to veal Marsala. We like very much Torgiano Rosso (a red wine of Umbria - Italy).
Rating: 4.5 / vote cast: 2