Spiedini di ciliegie e formaggio
Cheese & cherry skewers Authentic Italian recipe
Cheese-and-cherry skewers is a very tasty appetizer you can prepare in May and June when cherries are in season. They're ideal to start a celebration menu or the first BBQ.
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 300g (10 1/2 ounces) fresh cheese, cubed
- 500g (1.1 pound) cherries
- Wooden skewers
preparation: 30 minutes
cooking: no required
total: 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 216 (kcal) 11 % GDA (*)- 904 (kJ)
Protein: 13.3 (g) 27 % GDA
Total fat: 15.2 (g) 22 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 7.0 (g) 3 % GDA
Sugars: 7.0 (g) 8 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (190 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Cheese-and-cherry skewers recipe
- - Wash the cherries and pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
- - Remove their stones.
- - Then you have to alternate the cheese cubes and cherries on the skewers.
Just before serving
- - These skewers can be placed on a dish or stuck into some fruits (apples, oranges, melons...) or into a loaf.
- - Don't prepare cherry-and-cheese skewers too early. The cheese should be soft.
- - And now the cheese. What kind? choose according to your own taste. Fresh or anyway not too seasoned but in any case you must cube it. The goat cheese is not bad!
- - First of all, remember that these skewers can be served at lunch because the etiquette invites us not to serve the cheese in the evening.
- - If you have to celebrate an important event, prepare a table full of appetizers to accompany with cocktails or the same wine chosen for your menu. So the starter could even be skipped or reduced to the minimum. Nowadays it is no longer chic to exaggerate the number of courses. You can find a lot of suggested recipes to combine with these finger foods in the next paragraph.
Useful links for this recipe
- - These cheese-and-cherry skewers are delicious when accompanied with savory cookies, little meatballs with vegetables, a few canapés (especially based paté), fried olives Ascolana-style, fried herbs, grissini with their tips wrapped in bacon or ham slices, sweet almonds, salted almonds, pistachios.
- - You could be interested in other cherry recipes (salty or sweet). You can find them in the page dedicated to ... cherries
- - I calculated the nutrition facts mostly because everyone that ends his lunch with cheese and cherries can have an idea of calories, fats and sugars.
What's the right wine for " Cheese & cherry skewers "?
You can serve these appetizers with a cocktail (Negroni, Adonis, Affinity ...) but my husband Carlo and I like Merlot too. Read the page dedicated to our Italian DOC wine Merlot Lison Pramaggiore produced near Venice. We like the Merlot wine produced by the farm Le Carline very much.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1